Youth Survey Results
South Gloucestershire Council & Bradley Stoke Town Council - 20th January 2012
In 2011 South Gloucestershire Council and Bradley Stoke Town Council conducted a survey to
find out which activities young people wanted in their local area. The results of that survey have now been published.
BRADLEY STOKE SURVEY HEADLINE RESULTS
- 56% of young people in Bradley Stoke play sports in clubs or teams in their spare time and is
popular across all age groups.
- The least used youth provision is church based
- Leisure Centre usage is high with uniformed groups also popular
- Youth provision is most popular with the 15/16 age group, whilst Leisure centre is very
popular with under 11s.
- Arts and drama activities are very popular with 13 – 14 year olds.
- The main barrier to taking part is cost with transport and availability an issue for 15 and 16
- Top of young people’s wish list is drama, photography, dance, music and IT.
- 41% of 13-14 year olds were interested in internet usage – perhaps highlighting the need for
an internet café.
- Ball, swimming and trampoline were the three highest desired sport and fitness activities.
Trampoline and swimming was the highest requested sport from the 13-16 age group.
- Horse riding, camping and BMX/scooting/skate boarding were the most demanded outdoor
- Cooking, Hair and Beauty, and animal care were the life skills most wanted.
- Of all the activities on young people’s wish lists sport and outdoor activities were the most
RESULTS FROM MORE IN DEPTH SCHOOL FOCUS WORK
- Cost and travel came out as the main barriers from participating with being embarrassed,
friends and lack of information also featuring.
- A high number of young people are aware of where activities are currently available, and
attend clubs where possible.
- The most popular activities attended are
Netball, swimming, scouts, guides, after school clubs, skate board/scooters/bmx, ball sports,
army cadets, youth clubs
- The overriding feeling from young people during this work was that they would like the
activities to be run locally in Schools, Leisure Centres, Youth Centres, Parks and on the
- The top three most popular activities young people would like to participate in each area are
Art/media/music - Drama, photography and games design
Sports/fitness – football, basketball and dance
Outdoor activities – scootering, ice skating and go karting
Life skills/volunteering – cooking, horse riding and guides
To view the results in full, please download the following PDF document: Youth Survey Results