Rogue Traders in South Glos – Let Trading Standards Know
South Gloucestershire Trading Standards - 6th April 2016
South Gloucestershire Trading Standards would like to reiterate the warning given recently to residents to be extra vigilant when dealing with unexpected callers at the front door.
Officers are aware that rogue traders are currently operating in the area and are offering to carry out, amongst other things, paving, fencing and other gardening work. Reports suggest they are currently operating in Yate and Chipping Sodbury. Residents have reported that the price is raised dramatically part way through the job due to ‘unexpected problems’ and, despite claims on leaflets that no payment is required until completion, the traders have demanded payments throughout the job leaving some too frightened and intimidated to refuse.
If you think you or someone you know may have been targeted by rogue traders, please contact senior Trading Standards enforcement officer Neil Derrick on 01454 864565 or 07801 200104 as soon as possible.
South Gloucestershire Council Trading Standards advise residents;
- Do not to deal with unexpected visitors at your door you do not know who they are or what their history may be.
- Be wary of traders who cold call and the deals they offer you – it is unusual for genuine tradesmen to need to cold call to drum up work!
- Do not allow any unknown and unexpected visitor into your home. If possible, try to deal with them through a window or use a door chain.
- Ensure your front and back doors are closed and locked if your attention is elsewhere.
- If you are unhappy or feel intimidated by the visitor – shut the door and call the police.
- If you find work has been completed without your permission and payment is being demanded, ensure you are safe inside your property and telephone the police or Trading Standards immediately. It is not advisable to confront the trader or to try negotiate the price or pay up just to make them leave.
Remember; Not Sure, Don’t Open The Door.
For advice on this and other consumer matters, please contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06, Monday to Friday between 9am-5pm.