Rogue Traders in South Glos
South Gloucestershire Trading Standards - 11th March 2016
South Gloucestershire Trading Standards would like to reiterate the warning given recently to residents to be extra vigilant when dealing with unexpected callers at the front door.
Officers are aware that rogue traders are currently operating in the area and are offering to carry out, amongst other things, garden maintenance work. After refusing the offer of services at her door, one resident returned home to find work had been carried out without her agreement and payment was being demanded.
There are a number of steps residents can take to try and avoid becoming the victim of a rogue trader.
- Be wary of traders who cold call and the deals they offer you – it is unusual for genuine tradesmen to need to cold call to drum up work!
- Do not allow any unknown and unexpected visitor into your home. If possible, try to deal with them through a window or use a door chain.
- Ensure your front and back doors are closed and locked if your attention is elsewhere.
- If you are unhappy or feel intimidated by the visitor – shut the door and call the police.
- If you find work has been completed without your permission and payment is being demanded, ensure you are safe inside your property and telephone the police or Trading Standards immediately. It is not advisable to confront the trader or to try negotiate the price and pay up just to make them leave.
Remember; Not Sure, Don’t Open The Door.
If you think you or someone you know has fallen victim to a rogue trader, please report it to Trading Standards by contacting the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06 or telephone the Police on 101.