Rogue Traders in South Glos
South Gloucestershire Trading Standards - 24th July 2014
South Gloucestershire Trading Standards would like to reiterate the warning given recently to residents to be extra vigilant when dealing with unexpected callers at the front door.
Officers are aware that rogue traders are currently operating in the area and are offering to carry out, amongst other things, paving/driveway and roofing work.
Rogue trading incidents such as these are also linked to distraction burglaries, so we would ask that residents please look out for your neighbours, family and friends as well and report any suspicious activity.
There are a number of steps residents can take to try and avoid becoming the victim of a rogue trader.
- Be wary of traders who cold call and the deals they offer you – it is unusual for genuine tradesmen to need to cold call to drum up work!
- Do not allow any unknown and unexpected visitor into your home. If possible, try to deal with them through a window or use a door chain.
- Ensure your front and back doors are closed and locked if your attention is elsewhere.
- If you agree to work you are afforded cancellation rights by law, and these should be given to you in writing. It is a criminal offence not to provide these in certain circumstances.
- If you are unhappy or feel intimidated by the visitor – shut the door and call the police.
If you think you or someone you know has fallen victim to a rogue trader, please contact senior Trading Standards enforcement officer Neil Derrick immediately on 07801 200104 or 01454 864565.
For advice on this or any other consumer issue, contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06 or visit their website www.adviceguide.org.uk.