Managed Motorways: Parish Bulletin Number 8 - August 2012
Balfour Beatty Major Civil Engineering - 1st August 2012
The Highways Agency is working to improve the M4 between junctions 19 and 20, and the M5 between junctions 15 and 17, by introducing managed motorways.
As we move from summer to autumn the M4M5 project enters the ninth month of construction. Significant progress has been made over the summer period, with foundation piling now complete on the M4, half of the gantry bases constructed and a total of 7 new gantries installed.
The use of cones and signs to provide lane and speed restrictions within the areas we need to work.
Throughout August we will carry out a series of closures on the M4, M5 and within the Almondsbury Interchange. In support of the national traffic management measures in place during the Olympic period, for the football matches at Cardiff on 1st, 3rd, 4th and 10th August no planned overnight road closures on M4/M5 are taking place on those nights.
2nd, 6th & 14th August
- M5 southbound - junctions 15 - 16
- M5 junction 16 northbound exit slip road
8th, 15th, 16th, 21st, 23rd, 28th, 29th and 30th August
- M4 eastbound and westbound - junctions 19 – 20
- M4 South to M4 West link road
- M5 South to M4 East link road
- M5 South to M4 West link road
Closures will be in effect from as early as 22:00hrs, if traffic flows are low enough, however closures of the link roads within the Almondsbury Interchange may be in effect from the earlier time of 21:00hrs.
All closures will be removed by 06:00hrs the following day.
Signed diversion routes will be in place for all of the closures. To include them all in this bulletin would have required a further 2 pages of text. If however you do want a copy of these then please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Throughout August we will install a total of 7 new cross carriageway gantries on the M4 and within the Almondsbury Interchange.
- By the end of August we will have installed 14 of the 33 new gantries.
- The gantries will be installed at night during full closures of the carriageway. See above for details.
- Piling in the verges of the M4 is now complete.
- Piling in the verges of the M5 is 50% complete, with work expected to be complete in late September.
- Work to construct the 66 bases that will support the new cross carriageway gantries is 50 % complete.
- Work is expected to be complete in October.
- Directional drilling is carried out so that power and technology cables can be passed beneath the carriageway.
- Directional drilling is 50% complete.
For further information
Pam Hobson – Communications Manager Email: email@example.com
Matthew Rolfe – Community Liaison Officer Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 0800 432 6608 (Monday-Friday / 8am-5pm)