Would you pay for nothing?
South Gloucestershire Trading Standards - 29th May 2012
South Gloucestershire Trading Standards would like to reiterate to residents to be wary of those cold calling offering services such as garden tidying and repairs.
Trading Standards have been made aware of rogue traders targeting residents across South Gloucestershire offering to undertake gardening work but requesting money upfront. In some cases the trader has walked away with hundreds of pounds and not returned to do any work.
Incidents such as these are linked to distraction burglaries and residents are encouraged to report them to Trading Standards.
There are a number of steps residents can take to try and avoid becoming the victim of a rogue trader;
- Be wary of traders who cold call and the deals they offer you – it is unusual for genuine tradesmen to need to cold call to drum up work!
- Do not allow any unknown and unexpected visitor into your home.
- If they claim work needs doing, get a second or even third opinion from other professional tradesman.
- If you agree to work you are afforded cancellation rights by law, and these should be given to you in writing. It is a criminal offence not to provide these in certain circumstances.
- If you are unhappy or feel intimidated by the visitor – shut the door and call the police.
If you believe you have fallen victim to a rogue trader, or would like some further pre-shopping advice, please contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 08454 04 05 06.